Tuesday, July 24, 2012

I'm this close........

to selling everything!  We got nice hay, 142 bales of it.  But we've noticed that it's looking funny.  It's gone from pale green to silver and full of dust.  Everyone is telling us that it's full of mold.  But it doesn't smell moldy and it's not all like that.  So I have no idea what to do.  When you open it up dust just poofs out of it.  But again, it doesn't smell musty or moldy.  What would you guys do?  Have any of you farmers seen this before?

Now for the chickens.  They have mites!! We've burnt the inside of their pen and dusted with insecticide dust from top to bottom and we've also dusted the chickens.  I thought they were all gone and then yesterday J. went in the coop and came out covered.  It was creepy.  Bugs don't scare me but things like this freak me out!  So this means more money that we don't have to spend on the chickens.  The new pullets are in the goat barn now and they're clean.  They're in cramped quarters but they're clean, so they're going to have to stay there for a while yet.  I'm not going to move them yet.

I really don't know what to do.  Do I get rid of the chickens?  I've been told that once you've got mites you can't get rid of them unless you leave your coop empty for 3 years.  I didn't believe them, but I'm starting to now. I'm just sick of all this stuff.

I'm on vacation now so I guess I know what I'll be doing with the rest of it. Bugger.

Have a Blessed Day
Lisa

5 comments:

  1. We've had mites before in the coop, it's a matter of how much strong mite killer your willing to use, took awhile but we did get it cleaned up.

    As for the hay, i'd feed it soaked to the donkeys. You likely won't see the issues until the spring of the goats getting dusty hay. Lung problems in the winter with coughing, and shortness of breath in the summer. Just not worth it.

    Don't throw the towel in, no one ever said farming was easy. But we all know it's worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, no wonder you feel like giving up! Is there any way the seller will take the hay back? We got some moldy hay recently and the guy actually swapped it out for some good stuff.
    I don't have any ideas for the mites though. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mercy sakes, you have your hands full, heck over flowing. I don't know anything about the hay. Not sure on the mites either. So I am of no help at all. Have you called the person you got the hay from? Might be worth a call?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This blog has some pictures of moldy hay that sounds like yours... they bought it and had the supplier come back and pick it up.

    http://shantara.wordpress.com/2010/01/01/ah-hay/#

    I hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I checked it out. It does look like our hay. So I guess we're going to have to get rid of it.

      Delete

We love hearing from everyone! Please leave a comment even if it's just to say hello!